The Role of the Governing Body
The Our Lady & St Philip Neri Cross Governing Body provides strategic leadership and accountability for the school.
Its main functions are to;
- To provide a strategic overview that ensures the pupils learn most effectively and achieve the highest standards
- Act as a “critical friend” of the school by providing the Headteacher and staff with support, advice and information and monitor and evaluate to school’s effectiveness and promote the interests of the school and pupils.
- To ensure accountability. We are accountable to parents, pupils, the community, the Local Authority and Ofsted
It is also responsible for many important decisions in the running of the school. These include:
- Appointing the Headteacher and Deputy Headteachers. Governors are also involved in the appointment of teaching staff as appropriate.
- Agreeing the aims of the school curriculum and ensuring the national curriculum is implemented
- Determining how the school’s budget is to be used each year
- Dealing with official complaints and exclusions
Our governing body includes:
- 1 governor nominated by the local authority;
- 1 elected staff governor;
- 9 Foundation
- 2 elected parent governors; and
- 2 co-opted governors
The staff governor is elected by the staff and normally serves for 4 years.
The parent governors are elected to serve the Governing Body by parents of the school and normally serve for 4 years.
Parent governors are pleased to hear about views and ideas and can be contacted in writing via the school office.
The Foundation governors are appointed by the Diocese to serve the Governing Body of the school and normally serve for 4 years.
The co-opted governors are invited onto the Governing Body, by the Governing Body, to add areas of expertise and to represent the local community. We use a robust set of skills audits to ascertain the requirements and expertise required by the governing body.
A full list of the governors as well as information about their appointment, committee membership, attendance, and the Register of Business interests is available below.